Tuesday, March 28, 1989

[Provo]

Melvin's B-Day. He should have our card by now. We love that fine son. He is being groomed for leadership among his people, the Lamanites, and will rise as high as he wants. I'm grateful for his love and acceptance of our family. A high point in my life will always be the day he was sustained in Kirtland, and my privilege to ordain him a high priest. Today was classes all the way, and the regular fireside tonight. Only it wasn't "regular." It was Elder and Sister Sonntag (Philip T.). They gave us a real super evening. She, with all the pep and spark imaginable, talked 1st. Theme: Missionary Work.


Then Elder Sonntag talked. He gave a super talk. Subject: Missionary Work. Very lively, full of stories—mostly centered on the Pacific=Matthew Cowley style. The choir sang perfectly, of course. I congratulated Brother Brenchley again. We sang "Called To Serve Him" and I bawled once more. Then did it again during the closing prayer=the young elder did so well, and humbly.He choked as he pleaded for strength for us all, and success for us all. There is so much power in these meetings. As we left the hall, Marian said it was our best meeting yet. I agree. Sister Chapman just couldn't stop tearing—wiped her eyes all the way to the apartments. Saw Joe and Doris Childers again. Saw Rich Frost—he'll leave tomorrow. It's been good to see him regularly and catch his spirit at this important moment of his life. No mail again today. The busy lives back home sure do put a lonely streak into the lives of the ones searching the mailbox!

A funny thing happened—embarrassing but needs to be told, I think. After returning to the apartment, I remembered my briefcase was still in the main building hall. Marian said she'd walk with me. I grabbed my coat out of the closet, where I'd just put it. We got to the main building and saw Joe and Doris Childers and some members of their branch. As we stood talking, President Pinegar and his wife came by and chatted and then Elder Sonntag, his wife and daughters came by. They also stopped and chatted, asked where we were going, talked to Joe and Doris, etc. A fine, short gathering. Then we broke up, we went back to the apartment, they on to home and such. They had kept looking at my badge, which I proudly wear (name-tag, that is). When Marian and I got home, and as I was unlocking the door, I looked down, and for the first time saw that I had grabbed the wrong coat!! I had on my gray suit pants and my medium-blue suit coat! A sport garb! Against all mission rules! And, no name-tag! No wonder all kept looking at it—it wasn't there!! I was horrified, embarrassed, majorly mortified! I may go down as the first of the seniors here to get kicked out of the MTC! Tomorrow if the loudspeaker summons me to the President's office, I'll just fade away (No—old teachers just lose their class!).

No comments:

Post a Comment