Friday, December 23, 1988

[Mesa]

I enjoyed the 32nd and 33rd chapters of Alma again this morning. Actually, I’ve been studying them for the past week. Some really good insights have come to me while studying. I’ll write my insights elsewhere. I raked Mom’s backyard and picked some oranges and grapefruit for John and his family. Caught up on this journal. We talked more of the impending mission.
Christmas Eve was spent partly at John and Barb’s with dinner and fun with the kids. Their 5 little boys are at a cute age. Chase is still a little young for it, but the others are right on target. Back home we watched a Christmas special, listened to Christmas music and read—I finished Marion G. Romney’s biography. It doesn’t seem a lot like Christmas, camping out at Mom’s empty place, and with so much non-Christmas on our minds. But Donna still jerks us back to reality and the wonderful time of year.
I know the Savior wasn’t born in December. I know it’s a pagan-originated holiday—an immoral celebration of Saturn, with Christmas theme super-imposed. The modern trappings of the day come from northern European paganism. I know that. My innermost thoughts rebel at it. Yet, if I can help my family enjoy a special, nice occasion, I’ll keep my peace. And, sometimes we use the things of the world to further our spiritual leanings. The bonus situation is the faces of the little kids!

Go to Original Journal pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment