Sunday, December 18, 1988

[Huntington Beach]

Marian and I had a meeting this morning with President Borquist of the Huntington Beach Stake. This interview was a culmination of events which had been drawing to a point. He interviewed us to explore the possibility of our accepting a call to a mission in Portugal. This is a very humbling and exciting prospect. We hadn't expected this—coming from a stake president we didn't even know/had never seen! He started by saying, “I don’t know how to do this. I've never had this come this way before! Do you know Elder Carlos Asay? (No) well, he knows you. He has asked me to send him an evaluation of your availability to go on a mission to Portugal. (Here,we really gave him our full attention) The phone call from the Missionary Committee said you were teaching in the Institute program, and were nearing retirement. (Yes—I’m 61). And that you have a retarded daughter that other family members might be able to care for while you’re gone. (Yes, we have 5 married children. Any or all of them might be able to take care of Donna) Is your health such that you could fill a mission? (I’m sitting there with air-casts on both ankles, recovering from that great Thanksgiving volleyball game in Tucson. We say we have some health problems, but none the Lord doesn't know about. Marian’s arthritis, asthma, diabetes; My colitis, gastritis, etc. We didn't bore him with the details, nor any of the above, even. But we responded that the Lord would bless us if we went.)” We told the good president that we would be meeting with all our family on Christmas. We could broach the subject then to them all and give him an answer 12/26. He thought that would be alright, reiterated that he’d never had a call from the top like this; that the missionary calls were always initiated from the bishop or the couples!

We left and were in turmoil. We’d had a bit of forewarning for this call. A week before, Charlie Beckert had called. He said that at the recent CES area directors’ meeting Frank Bradshaw, Zone administrator, had asked him if he thought my situation was such that Donna could be kept by others while Marian and I filled an assignment in Portugal. Charlie, Arizona area director, told me that. (When I told Marian of Charlie’s conversation with Frank B, she looked blankly at me. There was total silence. Then her stomach growled!) But even with a little prior knowledge, which we had largely discounted, it was a shock.

We spent the rest of the day in a daze. I am still nursing my sprained ankles, so didn't go to Church. Marian and Donna went. We spent the afternoon talking a lot, then went to tithing settlement with the Huntington Beach 4th bishop, Dennis Wallace. Of course, he knows nothing of this. After settlement, Brother Cunningham extended a call to Marian to be meetinghouse librarian. Of course, she accepted.

Some feelings of my heart: I always knew calls like this might come. They came to others, and I know Marian is worthy and I’m trying to be. Ever since my mission to Brazil, missionary work has not been uppermost in my heart. My emphasis has been rather on “Perfecting the Saint”. I've always wanted to teach, instruct, bring along in the Church. Others have brought people in, I've helped them from there. I've also not been able to sustain interest in temple or genealogy work. It appears the Father is going to change the “Proclaiming the Gospel” part for me. (Maybe later on He’ll focus my attention clearly on “Redeeming the Dead”.)

In “Perfecting the Saints,” I've been bishop 4 times, spent 26 years in Seminaries and Institutes, tried my best to raise a family right and influence grandchildren for good. Could have done a lot more, surely. But now a change—

Can I make a contribution? I think so. I hope so. I pray so! Since the desire of my heart is to follow as directed, I’ll go if called. Marian will be great. Everyone loves her wherever she goes. I’m sure the language barrier will be small. And spirit-to-spirit there is no language barrier anyway. Health considerations are our most feared obstacles. For both of us. But the Lord’s will be done.

One final thought right now. If ever a missionary couple had a greater family to stand behind them, I don’t think I've heard of it. Our family is choice. Not just with our Donna problem/blessing. But in every way we’ll know that the choicest people on earth are backing us up. That’s why we can go with calm hearts. Not that problems won’t arise! They always do—it’s still mortality around here!! But I know that our kids, and the men and women they married, together with the greatest set of grandkids in the world, are the choicest spirits on earth. In fact, I feel 27 sets of young eyes fastened upon me. If I can just set the right example for them, I’ll feel that I haven’t completely failed my probation!

Go to Original Journal pages.

1 comment:

  1. In Grandpa's final thought, he says the family is choice. These words he wrote, about setting the right example for us, to not fail his probation is so inspiring and true. I see more of it's truth, of his strong example to us in these journals. I'm so thankful for him, I have no doubt that he is still setting the best example and loving us on the other side of the veil. I'm so thankful that I have just a couple vague but cherished memories with him. I love Grandpa, us being choice came because of him and his choice!

    ReplyDelete