Saturday, May 20, 1989

Meetings, New Furniture and No Electricity

Went early to the Seminary meeting at the Porto stake center. All of Xavier's teachers from all over the north where there. Faustino Lopez from Madrid was also there. It was well organized and well attended—some 30 or 35 teachers where there. A good looking bunch—looked a lot like seminary and institute teachers anywhere. Men and Women, mostly mid-twenties to mid-thirties. I helped with a scripture chase. Marian watched a while, then went shopping with Sister Copeland. About 11:00 I broke loose, returned to the mission home, we packed up and headed for São João da Madeira. Upon arrival here, we did some unpacking, then the office furniture began arriving—elders elders elders! A real good-looking bunch. We went to a meeting at the branch chapel. It's a sala (room) on the ground floor of a loja (store)-apartment building. It's not much, but it's a start. This entire district is less then two years old—when President Copeland started this mission 7/87 there were no members in any of the 8 branches. This is all fresh. Now the leaders are gunning for a stake!

Back to the meeting at the São João Branch—we thought it was a baptism. We got roped into a District Branch President Meeting for 2½ hours! Marian was pulled into it, couldn't understand a thing —I could understand a lot but was super—board. A bad experience. We came home to the apartment, ate some bread and jam, the district president, Aires and his wife, came to get their office fixed up, and we chatted some. A dreary evening. No electricity and no way to get some until next week. At least we have water, but it'll be a cold shower. I got this written just as the light gave out, then I'll guess we'll go bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment