Monday, May 22, 1989

"I said it would be worth it!"

Another cold, cold shower. I didn't even eat breakfast (that was a mistake, because I didn't get lunch!). At 9:00 I mailed 3 letters at the correio (post office) near by, then begged the dono (landlord) to get our electricity. He promised again. Off to Porto—I'm getting good at it now. I dropped Marian off at the mission home while I went to the mission office and found that I was an hour early for the meeting. So, I went shopping and to the bank—alone (I shouldn't do that)! Got a good exchange rate on my traveler's checks again—$162. A long presidency meeting with the mission presidency and the physical facilities man—Liberal. It was very interesting and I couldn't understand all of it, but I appreciated being there. I think that President Copeland will invite(?) me to each of them, because President Ayres will be going to Africa soon for awhile, and I'll probably have the district to run (that's RUN, not RUIN!). I picked Marian up later, we shopped at Continente (Walmart of Portugal) again for house hold stuff. We still can't by anything that's needing refrigeration.
After arriving home, and while beginning some letters, the Elders—Ainge and Badell—came, then the dono (landlord), and he hooked up our electric to his store and We Have Electricity!!!! The water heater is heating, the refrigerator is too, and we have lights! Great!! The Elders helped with it, then left. Marian's not feeling too swift tonight, but we're still banking on President Kempton's blessing!! And I caught up my journal by electric light!
My feelings are real close to the surface right now. I am so grateful for this call. We have 15 months from today to serve here. I don't know what this next time will bring, but we'll never forget it. The sights, the sounds, the smells, the traffic, the people, the missionaries. The saying keeps running through my mind: "I didn't say it would be easy. I said it would be worth it!" My motto for our Portugal Mission!

No comments:

Post a Comment