Wednesday, June 14, 1989

Zone Conference and Gypsies

Zone meeting at 10:00. That means São João da Madeira, Santa Maria da Feira, Oliveira de Azeméis and Ovar. I think there was 20 of us there. Elders Côrte-Real took charge, he and Elder Bradford. The APs—Dunford and Carneiro (?) —arrived in about an hour. We stayed for an hour. Song, prayer, D&C 4, scripture chase, presentations, other workshops. We left for lunch. Came back for the end, talks from several, and each of us talk. I did badly—my language wouldn't work. We all went out by the statue and got our pictures taken together. The Elders came to the office at our apartment and did some District work. Evening we walked thru the mato (jungle) behind our place, and it was nice—a real nice wooded area. On the way down the hill we noticed some gypsies—ciganos—had moved into a vacant lot up the street. A little gypsy camp—4 ____, two carts, a tent, 2 dogs, 2 men, an old and a young woman and a little girl. Dirty, made your heart hurt for them. But it's their way of life here. They'll be here a day or two or a week, then off they'll go. I wrote an epistle to my grandchildren, telling them who they are and how to act and how to be happy. I felt prompted to do it. I hope it makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment