Tuesday, April 11, 1989

[Springfield, MO]

Up real early, visit Bro Anderson's institute class here in Springfield and 2 Early-morning classes in the same building. No comment. As soon as we could, we called Frank Bradshaw and he was in a meeting but asked us to call back in 2 hours and talk to Mack Bowen. That was good news, because I knew then that Frank wasn't going to say "no," but that the message might be positive. When I called Mack 2 hours later, he said that they were trying to get thru to Germany (that is, the missionary committee was) to get Elder Asay's approval forms to return to Arizona. Because we're on a regular mission, we're under the missionary committee, not CES! So, call back in 1 1/2 hours! I called back and Mack and Frank were both on the box, and said the Committee couldn't reach Elder Asay yet, but that if they couldn't break it loose soon, they would fly us back to the MTC. That's OK—better than this never-never-land we find ourselves in at present. Meanwhile thru the day we did our laundry, mailed Donna a package, ate a Taco Bell lunch and Trotter's dinner, studied Portuguese a lot, took two walks, went to Anderson's and presented them with 2 books for thank-you, and generally tried to keep busy and our minds off our problems. Last thing at night Anderson's came by to pick up the car so he can go to Kansas tomorrow for his institute class there.


This is a very difficult experience for me. I know we should return to Arizona, but can't get permission to go. I feel I'm in a similar box to that of my great-grandfather, William Jordan Flake upon arrival at the Little Colorado settlements when he was sent to settle in Arizona. He didn't like the looks of things there, felt it wasn't right for his family, so he didn't stay. Some criticized him for not following counsel. Some said he was an apostate. But he felt he was right so he went to find a better settle-down place. Hence, Snowflake!! I feel that same way. I hope Elder Asay can see us home to Arizona to finish waiting for our visas, and meanwhile we can attend the temple, help our affairs along, counsel with John, squeeze grandkids, etc. In MO, nothing but Portuguese (And I have found—she has found— that I'm not the Portuguese teacher Marian needs!). Even as far back as the MTC will be helpful, for the language will continue to blossom.

No comments:

Post a Comment