We got up a little late, ate breakfast, then decided to go to the temple. We went—crowded and confusing, but what a blessing! Just what the "down spirit" needed. We dressed and joined each other in the chapel. I took a Book of Mormon from the rack, opened it randomly, and it was opened to 2 Nephi 4: and my eyes fell first upon the second half of verse 26 "why should my heart weep and my soul linger in the valley of sorrow, and ... my strength slacken, because of mine afflictions?" A jolt went through me—just what I needed!! I said nothing to Marian as I began before and after the verse above. The whole last half of 2 Nephi 4 was for
me today! After a moment, Marian reached for a Book of Mormon and also opened it randomly, and started reading. I glanced to where she was reading. She had opened the Book of Mormon to the exact same page which I had!! She was reading the same verses!!! She looked at my Book, then at me, and we both almost cried. What a great boost for sagging faith that was!! I don't know if Nephi ever knew that Marian and I would be lifted by his words today, but I'm sure the Lord knew it, and guided us! We went through the session more humbled than you could know.
We did our laundry, Marian had her hair done, we went to Salt Lake City and did some shopping, and had evening classes—one on language and one on driver safety. So the rest of the day was so-so! But it was fine because of the temple experience.
We started reading the Book of Mormon in Portuguese tonight. Marian's getting good at pronunciation. I think I'm about over my cold, but my companion has started coughing.
No comments:
Post a Comment