Got up early, loaded both cars, left at 6:45 for Mesa. Before leaving I gave Marian a blessing so she would be alright driving so far. She's never had to do this much before, and she was frightened. She'll be fine. We'll stop several times. I also gave Donna a blessing--a father's blessing. She has never "left home" before. Now for the first time, she will be out of our care, out of our keeping. It's a sober moment for me, and doubly or triply so for Marian. For 33 years we have looked after her every need, nearly her every breath. Now another must do it for a time. Marian is suffering guilt feelings that are deep. I try to reassure her, but I know she'll have to work it out herself. For a mother to relinquish her baby--at whatever age--is against her very nature if she's a true mother. Donna is a child. She remains so throughout mortality. I love my sweetheart for feeling so deeply and caring so much. I pray I might find the way and the words to give her the solace she needs. Perhaps President Kempton can do so when he sets her apart!!
Our trip to Mesa was uneventful, thankfully. Marian did great. Both cars were loaded. We could only make room for Donna to sit in one of them. So I rode alone and listened to Hugh Nibley tapes.
Unloaded at mom's in Mesa. Of course, no one here (she's still up in Washington with Gwen) so we just occupied the place. Then we took the '84 Skylark over to John and Barbara. Turned it over to them. They need a second car badly. Spent the evening on Portuguese.
No comments:
Post a Comment