Sunday, May 18, 1975

Sunday and Monday

I had seminary work to do, so didn’t go to my branch at all. I listened to Johnnie give a really fine talk in Priesthood meeting at the 8th ward here in Tucson. I’m proud of him. He prepared the talk entirely by himself and did a good job. He’s 17 now and is a big, fine looking boy. He’s a very good boy, too, and I’m very proud of him. I sat by my 21 yr old boy, David. He’s also doing great, and I’m very proud of him. He’s Deacon Quorum advisor in the ward. Dating Peggy Biggs, who has just divorced her husband, Kent Sebring. After the opening part of the meeting, I left to pick up Marian and we left for Silver City, for the Seminary graduation. It was a beautiful day. It was nice to just travel with my sweetheart. The graduation at Silver City was quite nice. There were 5 grads and the chapel was half full. Bishop Shelley took charge. Pres. Daw of the Las Cruses Stake was there with his counselor, Pres. Romney. I was the main speaker. After the graduation we had refreshments, and a talk with Bp. Shelley. He has arranged for credit at school for seminary, some can keep released-time (or, really, so we can keep a full-time teacher). I’ll try but I’m afraid we’re out of luck. There are just too few kids for released-time. Then Marian and I left for El Paso for another graduation. We passed by the old Mormon Battalion marker near the Cook Range by Deming. We arrived at the motel in El Paso about six o’clock. Ata 7:30 we went to the Stake Center for the graduation. I was disappointed. The program just wasn’t the good event it could have been. The Seminary-Institute man, David Arroyo, was too much center-stage. We sat through the program, then went back to the motel. I sat down with Arroyo the next morning and told him what I didn’t like about the graduation. I won’t go into it here. Then we drove to Las Cruses and I spent an hour with Talmage Christensen on his program, finishing out the year. He’s getting transferred to Ogden to save the program in Las Cruses. After meeting with him, we drove back home. We ate at El Charro in Lordsburg both ways. That’s always fun! We arrived back home about 3:30. The kids seemed glad to see us. And it was good to be home. That evening we had family home evening. It’s good to be associated with good people nearly all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment